Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What He Learned from His Students

Branford Marsalis on the 21st Century Student:
What I've learned from my students is that students today are completely full of sh*t.

That is what I've learned from my students. Much like the generation before them, the only thing they are really interested in is you telling them how right they are and how good they are.

That is the same mentality that basically forces Harvard to give out B's to people that don't deserve them out of the fear that they'll go to other school that will give them B's, and those schools will make the money.

We live in a country that seems to be in this massive state of delusion, where the idea of what you are is more important than you actually being that. And it actually works just as long as everybody's winking at the same time. If one person stops winking, you just beat the crap out of that person, and they either starting winking or go somewhere else.

My students — all they want to hear is how good they are and how talented they are. Most of them aren't really willing to work to the degree to live up to that.

h/t to Moonbattery


Branford's got a point. I'm somewhat glad that it's not just me.

They've certainly got the self-confidence and the braggadocio and the 'tude. It's a good thing the whole "education is going to hell and our students are the worst in the world" thing isn't bothering them. I don't know what they'd do.

No comments:

Post a Comment