Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Doonesbury - Say What?

Sometimes words just fail me.

"I've had two teenagers who were considering killing themselves, because they didn't want to be around when the world ends. Two women in the last two weeks said they were contemplating killing their children and themselves so they wouldn't have to suffer through the end of the world."
-- NASA Astrobiology Institute scientist David Morrison, on 2012 fears
I lived through the cold war. We would practice hiding under desks in case the Bomb was dropped. The siren was tested every day at 2:00. The cellar of the school was the town bomb shelter and periodically we'd line up and practice the attack drill. It probably affected me deeply but I can't say as I ever heard of any of my contemporaries having this kind of reaction.

Do we need a new Great Depression to shock the world back to reality, followed by a great War to give them a new sense of pride of self?

God, I hope not.

2 comments:

  1. Yep! I remember the bomb drills. :) What sort of terrorism drills do you do now in school, or do they practice any?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have "lockdown for shooter in the building or other similar", a different lockdown for "shooter outside", a third type of "stay in the classrooms" for a blood spill or chemical spill in the hallways.

    We don't practice these all that much - it's mostly just planning what we'll do.

    ReplyDelete