For starters, I reproduce the list of articles:
Program NewsYeah, it jumped out at me, too. Aren't you impressed by this Teachers College Program? How about that first article?
* Does Science Proves Some Things Taught Were False? (2006)
* T.C. Takes Second in U.S. News Rankings (2006)
* Quiet Students Can Speak Volumes Through Actions (2005)
* Cathy Benedict (Obit from 2005)
* Enrichment Program Plagued By Flaws (2004)
(Parenthetical additions mine)
"Does Science Proves Some Things Taught Were False?To be fair, this article told me a great deal about the Curriculum and Teaching Program at Teachers' College.
"When I try to help my son with his homework I see a lot of things that are different from when I was in school," said Marietta parent Matt Reed, 39. "Math is so different I can't even help him most of the time." Whether it's facts that have been disproved or courses that have simply gone out of style, there are a plethora of things that used to be part of any student's curriculum and are no longer taught in schools.
Some boards of education, including the Texas State Board of Education have recommended replacing textbooks with laptop computers and say a nationwide move in that direction is only a few keystrokes away.
"I think conventional textbooks -'" they're pretty much dead," Peter Cookson, director of educational outreach at Columbia University's Teachers College told the Associated Press. "Not this year, but in the next decade."
This article appeared in the October 21, 2006 edition of the Marietta Times.
- It told me that nothing good has been written about them in over 3 years.
- It told me that the College can't be bothered to check the grammar on its website.
- It told me that an article that it considered important and relevant was disjointed and bizarre -- is it discussing science proving things false as the title would indicate, curricula changes confusing parents as the first paragraph has it, or the "fact" that textbooks are dead because Texas thinks they should replace them with Laptops?
- It told me that its Director is an idiot and it made it clear why TC should be regarded as the last refuge of the Incompetents.