Friday, June 29, 2012

Romney ups the ante.


And then Raises the bar.
I think this is a land of opportunity for every single person, every single citizen of this great nation. And I want to make sure that we keep America a place of opportunity, where everyone has a fair shot. They get as much education as they can afford and with their time they’re able to get and if they have a willingness to work hard and the right values, they ought to be able to provide for their family and have a shot of realizing their dreams.
"They get as much education as they can afford."  Seems a bit like the rich dude is telling the rest they don't get the same opportunities he had, which is capitalism at its finest, I suppose. I'd rather focus on the "everyone has a fair shot" part of it but that second part ... I don't know.

"Join the military" -- Yup, excellent advice.
"Borrow from your parents" - not happening for the majority of Americans.

"As much as you can afford" is not where I'd draw the line. I'm not thinking the criteria should only be "I can afford it" or "I can borrow it". I'd like to include those who are good enough academically and willing to work hard even if they can't afford it.

I'm not saying this in the sense of finding one more subsidy or entitlement - I want the best for this country. This country deserves no less - it's about time that we understand that finding and educating those who can be educated, those who are willing to undertake the tremendous work of college and higher education regardless of whether they are poor or wealthy, is the only way we can ensure a successful future.
"By... [selecting] the youths of genius from among the classes of the poor, we hope to avail the State of those talents which nature has sown as liberally among the poor as the rich, but which perish without use if not sought for and cultivated." --Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XIV, 1782. ME 2:206

No comments:

Post a Comment