Thursday, January 8, 2009

Chorus Concert

Very nice show tonight at the Winter Chorus Concert. Good voices, a couple spirituals, a couple of show tunes, well worth the trip through the snow.

The eighth graders did Shalom Chaverim, which I'd never heard before and the seventh did This Ol' Man - a definite change of pace! Frim Fram Sauce, Sing and Shout, Didn't it Rain were very well done.

Ensembles
Women's: Be My Baby and Hit me With A Hot Note - classic and well done.
Men's: Ruby Ruby and Breakfast at Tiffany - I enjoyed the solo, but would rather have had the group singing more of the chorus.

Chamber Singers followed with a spectacular Eleanor Rigby, with all the added harmonies they could muster. All my Trials was good, but the arrangement for In Your Eyes didn't strike me well. Love Potion #9 - hilarious, considering some of the soloists.  The group finished off with Operator (Manhattan Transfer version) that was really good.

Senior Chorus is always spectacular and had great range this year. The 70 or so members were tight on Russian Picnic and excellent with Lord of the Dance. Ching a Ring Raw and Long Time Ago were decent. Not ones I'd have chosen, but they made up for it with Ain'a That Good News and a really, really good Goodnight Irene. Ending the night - Requiem for the Masses.

Can't wait for the Spring Concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment