Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Letter to the Editor - WCYDWT?

Found this. What Can You do with It?
It costs more to use less
An Albany (NY) Times Union Letter to the Editor

It's bad enough that the town of Colonie, in tandem with the Latham Water District, has raised the cost per 1,000 gallons of water usage a number of times over the past few years. Now, the minimum charge has been raised so that anyone trying to conserve water will pay more than the base rate.

In the last six months, my water usage decreased by 5,000 gallons, but instead of paying for the water at the rate of $2.65 per 1,000 gallons, I've been assessed a minimum charge of $3.25 per 1,000 gallons because I failed to use as much water as the town thought I should use. Unless your usage is more than 20,000 gallons in a six-month period, you will be zapped with a higher rate.

Why would I want to be careful about water usage when it will cost me more if I use less?

This administration apparently is taking a page out of the book of the state Legislature by trying to make up its deficit on the backs of the people it will hurt the most, the seniors. I believe the seniors are most likely the group who will use the least amount of water, yet pay more for it. Water conservation helps everyone and it should not be used as a tool for the town of Colonie to make money.

Robert Leffingwell
Colonie

No comments:

Post a Comment